"The gods too are fond of a joke."
- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)
"It is time I stepped aside for a less experienced and less able man."
- Professor Scott Elledge on his retirement from Cornell
"There are some experiences in life which should not be demanded twice from any man, and one of them is listening to the Brahms Requiem."
- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
"Plato was a bore."
- Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
"Hemingway was a jerk."
- Harold Robbins
"How can I lose to such an idiot?"
- A shout from chessmaster Aaron Nimzovich (1886-1935)
"Nothing is wrong with California that a rise in the ocean level wouldn't cure."
- Ross MacDonald (1915-1983)
"It is now possible for a flight attendant to get a pilot pregnant."
- Richard J. Ferris, president of United Airlines
"Men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all the other alternatives."
- Abba Eban (1915-2002)
"Imitation is the sincerest form of television."
- Fred Allen (1894-1956)
"Copy from one, it's plagiarism; copy from two, it's research."
- Wilson Mizner (1876-1933)
"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
- Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)
"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
- Sun Tzu
Thomas J. Watson
Kennedy political family
Daniel D. Tompkins
John Quincy Adams
James Knox Polk
Ulysses S. Grant
Rutherford B. Hayes
Chester A. Arthur
Democratic Party (United States)
William Howard Taft
Harry S. Truman
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Lyndon B. Johnson
Hubert H. Humphrey