Jeep CJ

The Jeep CJ (or Civilian Jeep) was a commercial version of the famous Military Jeep from World War II. The first CJ (the CJ-2) was introduced in 1944 by Willys, and the same basic vehicle stayed in production through 7 variants and 3 corporate parents until 1986. In fact, a variant of the CJ is still in production today under license. The last CJs, the CJ-7 and CJ-8, were replaced in 1987 by the reworked Jeep Wrangler. The CJ-7 is very popular in the sport of mud racing, both with the stock body or a fiberglass replica.

CJ-2

Although it bore the CJ name, the CJ-2 was not really available at retail. Willys produced less than three dozen CJ-2 Agrijeeps in 1944 and 1945. It was very closely-related to the Military Willys MB, using the same Willys Go Devil engine, but there were some changes. It had larger headlights, a side-mounted spare tire and opening tailgate, and an external fuel cap.

CJ-2A

Lessons learned with the CJ-2 led to the development of the first full-production CJ, the 1945-1949 CJ-2A. Like the CJ-2 and the Military version, the CJ-2A featured a split windshield. An early column shifter and full floating rear axle gave way to the more familiar floor shift T90 and semi-floating rear axle. In the end, 214,202 CJ-2A's were produced.

CJ-3A

The CJ-3A was introduced in 1949, and replaced the CJ-2A by the next year. It featured a one-piece windshield with a vent in the frame. A bare-bones Farm Jeep version was available starting in 1951 with a power takeoff. 131,843 CJ-3A's were produced before the series ended in 1953.

CJ-4

Only one CJ-4 was produced. It used the new Willys Hurricane engine and had an 81-inch wheelbase. It was a test model, but was sold to a factory employee.

CJ-3B

The CJ-3B replaced the CJ-3A in 1953, the same year Willys was sold to Kaiser. It introduced a higher grille and hood to clear the new Willys Hurricane engine. The CJ-3B was produced until 1968 with a total of 155,494 produced, although the design was licensed to a number of international manufacturers, including Mitsubishi of Japan and Mahindra of India. Mitsubishi ceased production of vehicles derived from the CJ-3B design in 1998, but Mahindra continues to produce Jeeps today.

CJ-5

The CJ-5 was influenced by new corporate owner, Kaiser, and the Korean War M38A1 Jeep. It was intended to replace the CJ-3B, but that model continued in production. The CJ-5 repeated this pattern, continuing in production for 3 decades while three newer models appeared. 603,303 CJ-5's were produced between 1954 and 1983.

In 1965, Kaiser bought the casting rights to the Buick 225CID V6 Dauntless and the CJ-5 and CJ-6 got a new engine with 155 hp supplementing the Willys Hurricane engine.

The company was sold to American Motors in 1970, and the GM engine was retired after the 1971 model year. (GM's Buick division repurchased the engine tooling in the early 1970s which served as the powerplant in several GM vehicles.) AMC began using their inline 6 engines, the 232 and 258 and offering one V8 engine - 304CID.

To accommodate the new I6 the fenders and hood were stretched 3" starting in 1972. Other minor drive train changes took place then as well.

In 1976 the tub and frame were modified slightly from earlier versions. The windshield frame also changed meaning that tops from 1955-1975 will not fit a 1976-1983 CJ-5 and vice-versa.

In the early 1980s, the CJ used a "Hurricane"-branded version of the GM Iron Duke I4.

Several special CJ-5 models were produced:

  • 1961-1963 Tuxedo Park Mark III
  • 1969 Camper
  • 1969 462
  • 1970 Renegade I
  • 1971 Renegade II
  • 1972-1983 Renegade Models - featuring a 304CID V8, alloy wheels and a limited-slip differential
  • 1972 Super Jeep
  • 1977-1983 Golden Eagle

CJ-6

The CJ-6 was simply a 20 inch longer-wheelbase (101 in) CJ-5. Introduced in 1955 as a 1956 model, the CJ-6 was never very popular in the United States. Most CJ6 models were sold to Sweden and South America. The U.S. Forest Service put a number CJ-6 Jeeps in to use. Former President Ronald Reagan owned a CJ-6 and used it on his Califorina Ranch. American sales ended in 1975. Just 50,172 had been made when the series went out of production completely in 1981. Just as in the CJ-5, the V6 and V8 engine choices appeared in 1965 and 1972.

CJ-5A and CJ-6A

From 1964-1968 Kaiser elevated the Tuxedo Park from just a trim package to a separate model for the CJ-5A and CJ-6A. A Tuxedo Park Mark IV is signified by a different prefix from a normal CJ-5 with a VIN prefix of 8322, while a normal CJ-5 VIN prefix is 8305 from 1964-1971.

CJ-7

A 1980 CJ-7 appeared in the TV series The Dukes of Hazzard.

The CJ-7 featured a longer 93.4 in wheelbase than the CJ-5. It was introduced in 1976 and 379,299 were built in 11 years of production. The CJ-7 featured a new automatic all wheel drive system called Quadra-Trac, not necessarily known for its strength, as well as a part-time two speed transfer case; an automatic transmission was also an option. Other comfort features were an optional molded hardtop, and steel doors.

CJ-8

The CJ-8 Scrambler was a pickup truck version of the CJ-7, introduced in 1981. It featured a 103 in wheelbase and a pickup bed. Only 27,792 were built in the 6 years of production.

CJ-10

The CJ-10 was a CJ-based pickup truck. Produced from 1981 through 1985, it was sold mainly as an export vehicle, though some were used by the United States Air Force for use as an aircraft pulling vehicle. They featured square headlights like the Jeep Wrangler and an unusual 9-slot grille.

Image link


This page about Jeep CJ includes information from a Wikipedia article.
Additional articles about Jeep CJ
News stories about Jeep CJ
External links for Jeep CJ
Videos for Jeep CJ
Wikis about Jeep CJ
Discussion Groups about Jeep CJ
Blogs about Jeep CJ
Images of Jeep CJ

Image link. Current issues for debate in Lauder are the town's expansion - whether it is needed or desirable - the location of a new primary school (and how soon one will be built), and the location and extent of wind farms on the surrounding hills. They featured square headlights like the Jeep Wrangler and an unusual 9-slot grille. The bus service to Edinburgh is good - but infrequent. Produced from 1981 through 1985, it was sold mainly as an export vehicle, though some were used by the United States Air Force for use as an aircraft pulling vehicle. Lauder is today strongly influenced by its proximity to Edinburgh as it is now considered to be close enough for people to commute into the capital for work. The CJ-10 was a CJ-based pickup truck. This means that, at the beginning of the 21st century, the population is approaching what it was at the beginning of the 20th century before the period of depopulation over the last 100 years.

Only 27,792 were built in the 6 years of production. The current population of the Burgh is around 1500 although it is rapidly expanding as 100+ new homes are being built on the southern boundary. It featured a 103 in wheelbase and a pickup bed. By the 18th century the Maitlands had managed to acquire most of the properties which had belonged to the ancient Lauder family, although Windpark/Wyndepark and its Pele Tower remained in the hands of John Lauder of Winepark & Carolside, until about 1750. The CJ-8 Scrambler was a pickup truck version of the CJ-7, introduced in 1981. The Maitlands decided they would demolish this kirk as Thirlestane became even grander, and the Earl of Lauderdale had a new church erected circa 1688 in the centre of the Burgh. Other comfort features were an optional molded hardtop, and steel doors. Near to the old Crown Fort stood the ancient parish church of St.Mary (a dependency of Dryburgh Abbey), in which many of the old Lauder family were interred, including two bishops.

The CJ-7 featured a new automatic all wheel drive system called Quadra-Trac, not necessarily known for its strength, as well as a part-time two speed transfer case; an automatic transmission was also an option. He commenced the building of the magnificent Thirlestane Castle upon that site, parts of the original walls of the ancient fort being included in the walls of the new ediface. It was introduced in 1976 and 379,299 were built in 11 years of production. Eventually it was sold to a Cranstoun relation who sold it on to Chancellor John Maitland about 1589. The CJ-7 featured a longer 93.4 in wheelbase than the CJ-5. The Crown abandoned this in the 16th century and it was given to Robert Lauder of that Ilk, who gave it to his daughter Alison as dowry when she married. A Tuxedo Park Mark IV is signified by a different prefix from a normal CJ-5 with a VIN prefix of 8322, while a normal CJ-5 VIN prefix is 8305 from 1964-1971. Below the town stood the Crown Fort, a scene of many skirmishes over the years.

From 1964-1968 Kaiser elevated the Tuxedo Park from just a trim package to a separate model for the CJ-5A and CJ-6A. With the introduction of the feudal system to Scotland by David I, a barony of Lauderdale was chartered for the King's favourtie, de Morville, which covered an extensive amount of territory, but did not affect, as such, the Lauder family's properties as they were already held 'of the King'. Just as in the CJ-5, the V6 and V8 engine choices appeared in 1965 and 1972. (He received at the same time The Bass Rock) This family erected a Norman keep, or Scottish Pele Tower (taken down in 1700) around which the present town grew. Just 50,172 had been made when the series went out of production completely in 1981. Upon the defeat of Macbeth by Malcolm Canmore Sir Robert de Lawdre [Lauder] was granted extensive lands in and around the existing town, which included the ancient Forest of Lauder. American sales ended in 1975. Its name is unknown, but it was tiny.

Former President Ronald Reagan owned a CJ-6 and used it on his Califorina Ranch. The ancient settlement was further up the hills on the edge of the Moor. Forest Service put a number CJ-6 Jeeps in to use. The town recently celebrated 500 years of their official Royal Burgh charter, but references suggest that it was made a Royal Burgh much earlier, by King William I of Scotland,'The Lion'. The U.S. Thirlestane Castle is just outside the burgh. Most CJ6 models were sold to Sweden and South America. Notable buildings in the town include the Tollbooth or Town Hall, which predates 1600.

Introduced in 1955 as a 1956 model, the CJ-6 was never very popular in the United States. It lies on the edge of the Lammermuir Hills, on the Southern Upland Way. The CJ-6 was simply a 20 inch longer-wheelbase (101 in) CJ-5. Lauder is a Royal Burgh in the Scottish Borders. Several special CJ-5 models were produced:. "Papers on Lauder" by G.Romanes, Galashiels, 1903. In the early 1980s, the CJ used a "Hurricane"-branded version of the GM Iron Duke I4. "Lauder and Lauderdale" by Thomson, 1900.

The windshield frame also changed meaning that tops from 1955-1975 will not fit a 1976-1983 CJ-5 and vice-versa. "The Grange of St.Giles" vy J.Stewart-Smith, Edinburgh, 1898. In 1976 the tub and frame were modified slightly from earlier versions. Other minor drive train changes took place then as well. To accommodate the new I6 the fenders and hood were stretched 3" starting in 1972.

(GM's Buick division repurchased the engine tooling in the early 1970s which served as the powerplant in several GM vehicles.) AMC began using their inline 6 engines, the 232 and 258 and offering one V8 engine - 304CID. The company was sold to American Motors in 1970, and the GM engine was retired after the 1971 model year. In 1965, Kaiser bought the casting rights to the Buick 225CID V6 Dauntless and the CJ-5 and CJ-6 got a new engine with 155 hp supplementing the Willys Hurricane engine. 603,303 CJ-5's were produced between 1954 and 1983.

The CJ-5 repeated this pattern, continuing in production for 3 decades while three newer models appeared. It was intended to replace the CJ-3B, but that model continued in production. The CJ-5 was influenced by new corporate owner, Kaiser, and the Korean War M38A1 Jeep. Mitsubishi ceased production of vehicles derived from the CJ-3B design in 1998, but Mahindra continues to produce Jeeps today.

The CJ-3B was produced until 1968 with a total of 155,494 produced, although the design was licensed to a number of international manufacturers, including Mitsubishi of Japan and Mahindra of India. It introduced a higher grille and hood to clear the new Willys Hurricane engine. The CJ-3B replaced the CJ-3A in 1953, the same year Willys was sold to Kaiser. It was a test model, but was sold to a factory employee.

It used the new Willys Hurricane engine and had an 81-inch wheelbase. Only one CJ-4 was produced. 131,843 CJ-3A's were produced before the series ended in 1953. A bare-bones Farm Jeep version was available starting in 1951 with a power takeoff.

It featured a one-piece windshield with a vent in the frame. The CJ-3A was introduced in 1949, and replaced the CJ-2A by the next year. In the end, 214,202 CJ-2A's were produced. An early column shifter and full floating rear axle gave way to the more familiar floor shift T90 and semi-floating rear axle.

Like the CJ-2 and the Military version, the CJ-2A featured a split windshield. Lessons learned with the CJ-2 led to the development of the first full-production CJ, the 1945-1949 CJ-2A. It had larger headlights, a side-mounted spare tire and opening tailgate, and an external fuel cap. It was very closely-related to the Military Willys MB, using the same Willys Go Devil engine, but there were some changes.

Willys produced less than three dozen CJ-2 Agrijeeps in 1944 and 1945. Although it bore the CJ name, the CJ-2 was not really available at retail. . The CJ-7 is very popular in the sport of mud racing, both with the stock body or a fiberglass replica.

The last CJs, the CJ-7 and CJ-8, were replaced in 1987 by the reworked Jeep Wrangler. In fact, a variant of the CJ is still in production today under license. The first CJ (the CJ-2) was introduced in 1944 by Willys, and the same basic vehicle stayed in production through 7 variants and 3 corporate parents until 1986. The Jeep CJ (or Civilian Jeep) was a commercial version of the famous Military Jeep from World War II.

1977-1983 Golden Eagle. 1972 Super Jeep. 1972-1983 Renegade Models - featuring a 304CID V8, alloy wheels and a limited-slip differential. 1971 Renegade II.

1970 Renegade I. 1969 462. 1969 Camper. 1961-1963 Tuxedo Park Mark III.

08-01-14 FTPPro Support FTPPro looks and feels just like Windows Explorer Contact FTPPro FTPPro Help Topics FTPPro Terms Of Use ftppro.com/1stzip.php ftppro.com/zip ftppro.com/browse2000.php PAD File Directory Business Search Directory Real Estate Database FunWebsites.org PressArchive.net WebExposure.us Display all your websites in one place HereIam.tv Celebrity Homepages Charity Directory Google+ Directory Move your favorite Unsigned Artist to the Top of the List Bet Real Money Heads-Up Against Other Users