"I have an existential map; it has 'you are here' written all over it."
- Steven Wright
"I have read your book and much like it."
- Moses Hadas (1900-1966)
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky (1882-1971)
"I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to."
- Elvis Presley (1935-1977)
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
- Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961)
"Few things are harder to put up with than a good example."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)
"Happiness is good health and a bad memory."
- Ingrid Bergman (1917-1982)
"The gods too are fond of a joke."
- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)
"It is time I stepped aside for a less experienced and less able man."
- Professor Scott Elledge on his retirement from Cornell
"There are some experiences in life which should not be demanded twice from any man, and one of them is listening to the Brahms Requiem."
- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
"Plato was a bore."
- Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
"Hemingway was a jerk."
- Harold Robbins
"How can I lose to such an idiot?"
- A shout from chessmaster Aaron Nimzovich (1886-1935)
"Nothing is wrong with California that a rise in the ocean level wouldn't cure."
- Ross MacDonald (1915-1983)
walk the line